Silk hexagons

There is simply too much going on around here, so of course rather than actually achieve any progress on existing projects, I started another. I also missed the Monday ladies two weeks in a row. I’m displaying withdrawal symptoms now, I think.

silk hexiesThese are very small silk hexies made from fabric brought back by one of my lovely graduate students who did fieldwork in Indonesia; old ties; a Chinese cushion I couldn’t possibly use; and left over bits of golden scarf. I was quite interested to see that, using glue for basting, it actually is perfectly possible to stitch silk hexies, though how stable they will be once the paper is out is anybody’s guess. What will I do with these? Well, I bought a cheap secondhand black wool coat from a charity shop last week and am rather vaguely thinking of decorating it with zany hexies and mad and colourful appliquéed freemotion patches. Sounds dreadful, doesn’t it? Or will it turn out to be some sort of plagiarised (but much cheaper!) Desigual style fabulous jacket… ?

But what I really need is some free mental space, and time, to get down to it. Beginnings of academic terms don’t provide much of those, alas! But it was fun playing with these, flopped in a pile on the sofa. As I am now, laptop perched precariously, staring at the ceiling…

Linking up to Jessica’s Star Count — hopefully seeing the other people’s amazing progress on various things will encourage me to actually finish some hand stitching project rather than start yet another. Screen shot 2014-01-20 at 11.14.37 AM

Happy stitching! JJ

About pragmaticpatchwork

Academic and quilter
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Silk hexagons

1. Veronika says:

I really like this coat idea!

2. dezertsuz says:

Very pretty, and I imagine against a black coat, they will be very striking. I’ve worked a lot with dupioni silk and it does stay pretty well wherever one wants it, but I can’t speak for other kinds of silk.

3. Katy says:

That’s going to feel fab! I usually use a bigger seam allowance with silks given its unravelling tendencies.

4. Adrienne says:

I love the shininess of silk! Your hexies look wonderful! Can’t wait to see what becomes of them.

5. Pamela says:

The silk hexies are so pretty! I like the coat idea. My first hexie project was a little pouch (from Jessica’s book), using Japanese silk prints. I found it a little difficult because the fabric didn’t hold the finger creases, but I was so happy with the finished bag.

6. jessica says:

ooh, your wool coat idea sounds luxurious. I’d love to see that as a finished project~
    Helen has also worked with silk and EPP, maybe she can offer suggestions/guidance? (helennoblog.blogspot.com)
    THanks for linking up~